Harrison County WV Historical Society Preserve WV AmeriCorps
The Harrison County WV Historical Society is a volunteer-based nonprofit that engages with our community by preserving, educating, and demonstrating the history of Harrison County and North-Central West Virginia. For 50 years, our official headquarters has been the 210 year-old Stealey-Goff-Vance House in Clarksburg, but more recently, we have set up a climate-controlled archive in the Chase Towers thanks to the generosity of Olymbec USA.
Our growth as an organization over the past three years is a direct result of the service of our Preserve WV AmeriCorps members. These AmeriCorps members are a vital component to our ability to manage our archival collection, provide quality local history programming, preserve the Vance House, and further grow our outreach. The HCWVHS is funded by donation only, and we often have to make tough choices on where we spend our funding. By helping us meet our goal, we won't have to choose between keeping the lights on and giving up the progress we've made because of our AmeriCorps members.
So now, we are calling upon our community members to support us in our continued participation in the Preserve WV AmeriCorps program. Over the next 30 days, we want to raise $6,000 for the matches for our two Preserve WV AmeriCorps members for the 2017-2018 service year. We thank you for your support and showing us you care about Harrison County history. Learn more about the Harrison County WV Historical Society at http://www.harrisoncowvhistoricalsociety.org/.
The current Preserve WV AmeriCorps members serving in these positions are planning to stay for a second year if funding comes through for their positions. Wondering what they'll be doing next year? Check out their position descriptions, which are an outline of tasks used to guide their service-year activities.
- Continue accessioning and cataloging the archive and artifact collection into PastPerfect under the collection management policy guidelines;
- Coordinate volunteer management and retention;
- Continue to search and apply for preservation funding for the Stealey-Goff-Vance House preservation and for storing the archive and museum collection;
- Develop a preliminary plan for long-term museum collection storage in the Vance House;
- Organize workshops and local history programming and events; and
- Manage the organizational website and social media.
- Assist with organizing and prioritizing undocumented items in the paper collection;
- Assist with writing, printing, and mailing (using USPS Business Customer Gateway) the organization's newsletter, The WAG*;
- Continue with accessioning and cataloging using PastPerfect; and
- Coordinate special local history programming and events.